The Mag Gallery The Hood
Why all the unoriginality?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junket

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why all the unoriginality? Reply with quote

nyvig wrote:

Originality is a thing of the past, All that can be done is to use themes that are personal, that mean something to the client. An ARTIST will put his/her own touch to it.

Do you really feel that way?

There is millions of images and billions of items in the world..

Have all the combinations and ways to apply them been used already?
nyvig
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that is how I feel. It seems as though art in all mediums has been recycled over the decades.
brimstone6
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there may be a lot of images and things but im of the coleman way of thinking...... a lot of ideas are great they just dont make great tattoos
ryandmason
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure if anyone has made this point yet, (i didn't read every post) but if we are asking why tattooers and clients tend to do the same stuff over and over again.... i think it's because it's really, really fucking hard to constantly create new ways of doing a tattoo, and clients will always, always just get stuff like what they see. if we want to do something different, it's up to us to build that level of trust with our clients and ourselves so we can try new things when it's called for.

originality and versatility were the main things i wanted to focus on when i started tattooing, and at some point things just got way too overwhelming. i got busy with good clients, and because i had built clientele based on originality, i had to come up with a different way of doing every single tattoo because requests were from all over the place. none of them too far over my head, but the cumulative amount of energy it took to draw and finish two completely different tattoos a day was so ridiculously draining, i was constantly running on an empty tank of creativity(and was kinda turning into a jerk because i was so flustered all the time).

i started to understand why guy aitchison just does bio mech spacey texture blops and bob tyrrell just does portraits. yes, because that's what people ask from them, but also because that's what they can do easily, with stellar results, and keep their demand high. it's repetitive, but also pretty smart and sustainable for them.

granted, i have nowhere near the ability or creativity of people on the level of those guys. guys like steve moore and cory kruger are way ahead of the rest of the pack when it comes to the things they can milk from their inspirations.... and i am no where near that level. but although i stay pretty busy with a lot of freedom with my customers, it's still so hard to keep up with that at this point i envy the guys who get to do traditional roses and tribal and shit. man, a lower back tribal would be fucking awesome right about now.... leo zulueta already did the work for me! same could be said for coleman/jensen/etc with traditional. it's just so much easier and looks better than what most of us who aren't named mike roper could come with anyway.

just my perspective. but maybe i'm just always in over my head.
The_Hyena
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't nothin' wrong with an old jazz standard, and there ain't nothin' wrong with a good old skull tattoo.
Junket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan d

definitely a good post..

I understand what you're saying, a creative, innovative piece that crosses over well to skin is an obstacle
AdamSky
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further the point, there are a lot of tattoo artists who halt doing certain types of tattoos from their repertoire because they've explored all they want to explore with that genre and don't want to get pigeon-holed.

For instance, I remember when Bugs first hit the scene in the tattoo magazines back in the mid 90's doing nothing but massive scale Celtic work. It was really quite amazing and bold work and obviously something that he really excelled at. And just like that, he was done with it and refused to carry on with the Celtic because he didn't want to be known only for doing that type of tattooing.

As well, I was doing a lot of tribal tattooing in the late 90's. People even started calling me "Adam Sky the Tribal Guy" and customers were stealing photos of my tribal work out of my book, I guess they loved it so much. So I said 'stop' and refused to do any tribal from then on in because I didn't want to get pigeon holed doing something that I didn't want to get a name for doing, plus I was totally uninterested in further exploring that genre.

Later I got that way with some other stuff like cherry blossom tattoos. I figure that some fads in tattooing have to be nipped in the bud.

I guess that I'm fortunate enough to have enough incoming work to be able to have right of refusal on work. I appreciate that I'm in that position. But I also think it's important for artists to mold the direction that they go in with their tattoos by selecting specific work and refusing work if they're in the position to not aggravate the boss too much by doing that.
mr_natural78
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the unoriginality is not caused by the artists but by the TV brainwashed masses who don't think for themselves.

so very true!
Junket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post adam..

So you are saying, if an artist gets recognized as an original, off the wall artist, he wont be able to do stereotypical basic shit?
mr_natural78
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get pidgeon holed for a specific syle it can be real hard to break out of that. Look at Guy Aitchison. Anyone see more than a few pieces of his work that isn't the style he is known for? I've only seen a handful. I don't really know if that is his own doing or not...I know that is what people ask for when they go to him.
acidbaby
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To most people, a tattoo is a symbol, not an artform. Skulls, snakes, roses and wizards say something, convey a simple meaning. These symbols are embedded so deeply in the human psyche, they may be on a level with animal instinct.

Just because a million copycats think Norman Collins was an artist, does not mean that he was. He was a craftsman, maybe an artist when it came to survival.
BoMcConaghie
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Sky the Tribal Guy!!! shocked Shouldnt have let that one out of the bag.
Hedley
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha Adam you did do some mean tribal! remember the girl with it ankle to shoulder photos on SH wall that brought lots of people your way for sure
JasonLambert
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this whole question is like saying "Why does everyone in North America write stories in english!? why dont you make up your own language!?"

Tattoo imagery is a language, if you really want the esperanto version of a tattoo then good fuckin luck. . . .
artfisch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's not about what the tattoo is, but where you put it.
Buddha- the new craze.
Buddha on your forehead- original.
zedkhov

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonLambert wrote:
this whole question is like saying "Why does everyone in North America write stories in english!? why dont you make up your own language!?"

Tattoo imagery is a language, if you really want the esperanto version of a tattoo then good fuckin luck. . . .

just quoting for emphasis here...
russmo
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to get pigeon holed, that sounds fun.
johndohe
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm currently being corn holed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Read Street Tattoo Forum Index -> Tattoo Enthusiast Discussion Group All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: