The Mag Gallery The Hood
Sick of friends getting shit tattoos...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zachadoo88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Sick of friends getting shit tattoos... Reply with quote

Most of my friends know how big of a tattoo nerd I am. Many of them ask me "who should I go to?" But few of them actually take my advice and it makes me fucking mad, but sad at the same time. For example, one of my good friends (my best friend of 20+ years little brother) always asks me shit and I give him the best advice I can. He got a tattoo last year from his on again off again girlfriends friend who does the shit out of his house. He knows what I think about that but he still went an did it. The tattoo needless to say is shit.

Well last weekend we were at a bar and he said he was going to get another one by the same dude. I strongly advised against it. I couldn't be too harsh because the girlfriend was there and I didn't want to start a fight for talking shit about her kitchen scratcher friend. The SLC Tattoo Convention is coming up so I encouraged him as much as possible to get it there. I am volunteering so I told him I could get him in free and I could show him around and get him set up with a real tattooer. I tried my fucking best.

Two nights ago I got a text from him of his new tattoo. Guess what? It was done by kitchen scratcher asshole. And guess what else? It's shit!!!!! The best part was when he said "$150 is all" (this took up a good chunk of his forearm, I'm guessing if anyone worth a shit did it would have been $350-400). I didn't respond.

I get so fucking sick of this shit happening. It makes me want to not ever try to give advice on who to get tattooed by and who not to get tattooed by. Feel like I'm wasting my breath with most people. And now, a mutual friend is now asking the girlfriend to "hook her up" with kitchen scratcher guy for her THROAT!!!!!! Fuck!!!!! Should I even try to talk her out of it??
mrchen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sucks, I feel the same way, people ask, I give what I think is good advice, they get shit ink and then come back and ask what to do......WTF
britishink
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You give them this forum information and hopefully they'll pay attention, sign up, do some research and make a better choice in the future.

Having said that people get what they deserve. Cheap ass tattoos for cheap ass people. A hard lesson to learn but that's what life is about.

Irreversible decisions are good for the soul.

And you can quote me on that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BoMcConaghie
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone gets the tattoo they deserve. save your breath and try not to let it bother you.
mrchen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo do you think that reflects poorly on the industry or we shouldnt worry about it...............laser work is taking off now like crazy, here in atlanta the ads are on the mainstream radio all day
shopwidow
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sick of friends getting shit tattoos... Reply with quote

zachadoo88 wrote:
Should I even try to talk her out of it??

I would give her an honest assessment of the guy's work that you've already seen. Worst case scenario: she doesn't listen and gets a really great tattoo, making you look like a fool. Best case scenario: she listens and goes to someone reputable and gets a really great tattoo.

Likely scenario: she doesn't listen, gets a godawful tattoo, and you don't feel a lick of guilt because you did your best to help.
BoMcConaghie
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the industry. What I know about is making the best tattoos I can for the people who appreciate it. If they bring their friends to me their friends get the best tattoo I can give them. Beyond that is not under my control therefore not worth worrying about.
kollin
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude if you're in Utah so am I. In ogden, keith Haines is in Logan and will be at the slc convention and is tattooing the shit out of me every other month, Sarah and everyone else at oni gallery, yellow rose, cathedral, lost art, big deluxe, 11th street, Edison street( Lazlo Barath is a wizard) Painted temple. Yeah it costs money but looking like shit costs you more money cause jobs are judgmental. Tell the girl to get a good tattoo, not on her throat at a good shop. Tell your brothers friend what you think of her shit head kitchen friend and tell her not cool. That piece of shit hasn't put anything out there to get better and he's fucking up a craft and a slowly building reputation. Because you know what Utah thinks of tattoos
mrchen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are right Bo, staying in our circle of influence is good advice
PDCastello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of my friends get tattooed where I recommend. They ask what would be good, I recommend few, they say "Fuck yeah! Better start saving some cash!" and two weeks later they show me the tattoo that they got in the local so and so shop.

Thats their business. Fuck it.
xombierocket
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get new friends, problem solved.
PDCastello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still wouldn't listen.
i_am_harry
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that guy is a fucking idiot and makes you look like one too by association. tell him THAT shit, and then never talk to him again, problem sorted.
lowlight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my friends aren't idiots then. Yours sounds like one

BTW you should have expressed yourself honestly, instead of holding back to avoid confrontation. If they get all offended that you think their friend is an asshole, that's their problem
nillo
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think some people just really need to make that mistake. its hard for some to consider how much can really go wrong getting a tattoo from an amateur. hell alot can go wrong getting one from a pro too.

kinda seems like everyone knows someone who "tattoos."

whenever my buddies recommend me to a friend, and say something along the lines of "hey man go to my buddy...hes good." i could be tattooing on a cat-piss ridden couch in a basement apartment with a kit and an instructional dvd under my belt getting the same recommendation. everyone has a friend to recommend and most of them are shitty and an even more alarming number are doing it from home, clueless.

the most you can hope for is that these people getting shitty tattoos feel the painful regret of knowing how much it sucks afterwards and maybe they'll listen to you next time. if they get a shitty tattoo and dont know or care to know the difference, fuck em. you do get the tattoo you deserve.
J_Corlis
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of the problem is that most people don't really know the difference between good art and bad, or good tattoos and bad ones. Usually the people who don't have their heads completely up their own ass eventually notice that the tattoo they got from a friend of a friend outta the kitchen is horrible and look for someone to make it better...Unfortunately, alot of people like having their head stuck up their own ass
resonanteye
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will always be people who don't want to put anything into their tattoos, and if you don't speak up and say you think it's dumb, they never hear it

friends, real friends, will listen to you rant if you want to rant about their bullshit

a lot of times people can't afford the tattoo they want, and don't want to bother saving up...total lack of self-control, that

just talk mad shit on their tattoos at all times. like out at the bar "yeah I got this at so-n-so shop...but you should check out this pile of absolute shit my friend has, it is just fucking wretched dumb and shitty. fucking hilarious"

talking shit with a smile can convince people of things sometimes, that no amount of tender concern for their welfare can manage
JoshDestruct
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

britishink wrote:
You give them this forum information and hopefully they'll pay attention, sign up, do some research and make a better choice in the future.

Having said that people get what they deserve. Cheap ass tattoos for cheap ass people. A hard lesson to learn but that's what life is about.

I just quoted you on that!
shopwidow
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resonanteye wrote:
friends, real friends, will listen to you rant if you want to rant about their bullshit...no amount of tender concern for their welfare can manage

I'll add that concern for a friend's welfare and concern for making them feel bad for a moment because of some straight talk aren't on the same level. I've spoken plain to friends when they least wanted to hear it and it hasn't lost me any friends.

I suppose it gets more complicated when it's a 'friend of a friend of a friend'...like it is here. I guess I'm having trouble understanding why anyone should be so concerned about an on-again-off-again girlfriend's feelings so much. She probably won't even be around in a month.
zachadoo88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advice and replies everyone, I appreciate it. I have referred this friend and countless others to this very site. I've explained to them how if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't know near as much as I do about well done tattoos versus shitty tattoos. Or tattoos with good composition and correct style and proportion versus terrible composition with very little base reference knowledge whatsoever. It just comes down to those who want to listen and those who don't. I want my friends to get good tattoos, is that too much to ask? Apparently it is for some.

resonanteye wrote:
a lot of times people can't afford the tattoo they want, and don't want to bother saving up...total lack of self-control, that

I think you hit the nail on the head.

arcticink wrote:
I think part of the problem is that most people don't really know the difference between good art and bad, or good tattoos and bad ones.

So did you.
zachadoo88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kollin wrote:
dude if you're in Utah so am I. In ogden, keith Haines is in Logan and will be at the slc convention and is tattooing the shit out of me every other month, Sarah and everyone else at oni gallery, yellow rose, cathedral, lost art, big deluxe, 11th street, Edison street( Lazlo Barath is a wizard) Painted temple. Yeah it costs money but looking like shit costs you more money cause jobs are judgmental. Tell the girl to get a good tattoo, not on her throat at a good shop. Tell your brothers friend what you think of her shit head kitchen friend and tell her not cool. That piece of shit hasn't put anything out there to get better and he's fucking up a craft and a slowly building reputation. Because you know what Utah thinks of tattoos

Yea man, I recommend a lot of these places all the time. A few names I haven't heard of before in there, I'll check them out for sure.

For some reason there are people out there that have to learn this the hard way: "Good tattoos aren't cheap, and cheap tattoos aren't good!" Hopefully I can convince this girl to not go to this fuck head. I'll post on here what the outcome is.
jerome-88
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

britishink wrote:

^ this ^
kollin
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zachadoo88 wrote:

Yea man, I recommend a lot of these places all the time. A few names I haven't heard of before in there, I'll check them out for sure.

For some reason there are people out there that have to learn this the hard way: "Good tattoos aren't cheap, and cheap tattoos aren't good!" Hopefully I can convince this girl to not go to this fuck head. I'll post on here what the outcome is.

A lot of these people were from big deluxe a boogied out and made a ton of great shops. There's a ton of options but Utah and everywhere else is a walmart nation. It's douchebaggery at it's finest. It's not about the tattoo anymore. It's about getting the cool kid club card. I am noticing they just want to belong fuck the content. I've heard it a million times on here and from other artists. 90% of people getting tattooed shouldn't be. That's their call though. Get killer tattoos and fuck the rest
bSwitchblade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recommend a shop one time to the person.....if they don't listen to you and ask you again then say....."I told you where to go for the last tattoo and you didn't listen, so why should I try to help you again?"

Trust me....I have said this to more young ladies than I can even count at this point! Yeah they may think I am a total bitch.....but maybe I am!

People learn by making mistakes.......some learn from them.....and some unfortunately don't!

And I am not a fan of the laser! When you get a tattoo your mindset should be that it's for life......your tattoos tell a story of who you are/were at any given point in your life (even the stupid silly ones some of us have).....they tell of an experience you shared with the person who tattooed you.......but then again I am one who listened for the most part to what my friends in the craft told me and I don't have any tattoos I regrets and the one "mistake" I did make was able to be fixed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Read Street Tattoo Forum Index -> Tattoo Enthusiast Discussion Group All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: