The Mag Gallery The Hood
Portrait artist in Vancouver?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpure

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Portrait artist in Vancouver? Reply with quote

Hi,

was wondering if anyone can recommend a tattoo artist in the vancouver area who does really good portraits.

rob hope is not accepting clients at the moment and i emailed james acrow but have yet to hear back. wondering if there anyone else out there that is recommended?

TIA
dxx666
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donavan at lady luck in Langley is who Rob is recommending all his portrait work to nowadays. his portraits are really really good.
dpure

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxx666 wrote:
Donavan at lady luck in Langley is who Rob is recommending all his portrait work to nowadays. his portraits are really really good.

thank you for that recommendation. donovan's work looks good. if there are any other good portrait artists you know of please list them also. be nice to pick from a few different ones.

another i came across was richard vega who works out of adrenaline tattoo in vancouver.
Luc7thsunn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Moore

I'm not sure if he really does straight up portraits so much as encorporating them into larger pieces with other imagery but his faces are unreal.

www.getmooretattoos.com
Lorgakor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably have as much luck getting in to see Steve as Rob. Now I on the other hand have a sleeve scheduled to start with Rob in a few weeks. Sorry, couldn't help but brag cause I'm that excited lol! laughing

I checked out Donovan at Lady Luck, his portrait work looks really good, I'd be inclined to see him if I was getting a portrait.
sheppard
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know Rob bussy and hes recomending Donovan, we dont do portraits at our shop and always recomend either Rob or Donovan

so now we'll just send everything on over to Donovan
dpure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know what donovan charges per hour and if he has a wait list? thought i'd ask here in case anyone already knows, otherwise ill give him a ring tomorrow.
dxx666
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beleive he is around 150 hr and maybe a month out depends on the month lol..
dpure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxx666 wrote:
i beleive he is around 150 hr and maybe a month out depends on the month lol..

thanks. i got ahold of him and he said it is 500/hour minimum for portrait work which kind of sucks since my portrait will probably on the smaller side and take less time but i guess i can always have him add something else to the piece as well so i hit the $500 price point.
jfriesen
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small portraits suck and don't age well. The reason he has that as a base rate for portraits is probably to stop people from trying to do them too small, or cheap out on the detail.

A portrait will take at least 4 hours, and if it doesn't, it was too small to look good in ten years, or it wasn't done right.
dpure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfriesen wrote:
Small portraits suck and don't age well. The reason he has that as a base rate for portraits is probably to stop people from trying to do them too small, or cheap out on the detail.

A portrait will take at least 4 hours, and if it doesn't, it was too small to look good in ten years, or it wasn't done right.

that makes sense to me.

in my case i have one side of my chest tattooed and connected to my sleeve on that arm. the opposite side of the chest, where i want the portrait is totally blank but i do have a sleeve on that side. so what i wanted to do was lay the portrait down and connect it to my sleeve but have it matching the opposite chest plate with the windbars etc.. as background so everything flows. my chest isn't exactly huge so i only have a certain amount of space i can use towards the portrait since i need to leave some blank around it for the background stuff.

ill forward him a pic and see what he thinks so i don't waste my time going down there or getting a tattoo that wont look good down the road. i can always relocate the portrait elsewhere if need be.
Doubt
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go down there. It won't be a waste of time. The guy needs to see good pictures of who you want a portrait of. Your pictures probably suck so if you go see the guy he can tell you what he needs in a photograph, check out the size, see what your sleeve looks like, and tell you a portrait will look better with some other kind of background as japanese wind bars. Once again, talking to your artist will not be a waste of time. You need to leave some cash to book your appt. with the guy anyway. Good luck.
KurtW
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to know a guy who had some of the best portraits i ever seen, they were done by john the dutchman, try and see him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Read Street Tattoo Forum Index -> Tattoo Enthusiast Discussion Group All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: