The Mag Gallery The Hood
Why we always say "talk to your artist"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonLambert
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Why we always say "talk to your artist" Reply with quote

Especially with aftercare questions. There are almost as many different (and correct) answers to aftercare questions as there are tattoo artists. We each have found a system of aftercare and methods for dealing with problems that may arise in our own way that are informed by our own research and experiences.

So, for example, If artist A does your tattoo and you have a question about ointment and artist B tells you to use an ointment that artist A has found to cause problems, you are going to piss off artist A because you 1) might wreck the tattoo he put a lot of time and effort in 2) if someone sees a wrecked tattoo and asks who did it you will say "artist A did it" you wont say "artist A did it but I put this other stuff on it artist B told me about and thats why it sucks." thus harming artist A's reputation and 3)because the artist A will wonder why you didnt come to him/her with questions when the answer is only a phone call away.

Believe me, we would all much rather answer 100 questions a client might have rather than try to undo the damage from bad advice. In fact when i hand my customers their ointment and care sheet at the end of a tattoo, I always end by saying "If you have ANY questions Id rather you ask me than someone who might not give you good advice."

So when you folks begin a thread asking about the particulars of your tattoo the artists on this forum, out of respect for your artist and for your tattoo, are generally going to say "Ask your tattoo artist". Its not said in a dismissive or snarky way, its simply the best advice we can give you.
britishink
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My aftercare states clearly:

"Do not follow anyone elses instructions, if you have any questions please call me on ...."

People always say "So and so said...." well so and so didn't tattoo it. The tattoo is applied with respect by the artist and with respect they should be contacted for any problems or questions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this.

Is there anyway to keep something like this at the top of the tattoo discussion thread? As this thread slowly fades from view, and inevitable questions return: the wisdom written here may be lost on the new.

Information like this posted at top, along with perhaps, "how to find an artist in your area", could help new Tattoodles members greatly.

Thanks again Jason and Paul.
fuzzyface

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonLambert wrote:
...when i hand my customers their ointment and care sheet at the end of a tattoo, I always end by saying "If you have ANY questions Id rather you ask me...

britishink wrote:
"Do not follow anyone elses instructions, if you have any questions please call me ...."

most excellent gentlemen!
now if only every artist would follow your prime examples
F3nc3p0st
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this should be a sticky.
albatross

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, rose then frank beat me to it, i was going to suggest this be a sticky too.

maybe something about searching the backposts before one posts as well?
AdamSky
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all better wash your hands coz this topic is sticky.
artfisch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh I just love sticky things!
Dorian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2006 08:48 Post subject:
JasonLambert wrote:
...when i hand my customers their ointment and care sheet at the end of a tattoo, I always end by saying "If you have ANY questions Id rather you ask me...

britishink wrote:
"Do not follow anyone elses instructions, if you have any questions please call me ...."

most excellent gentlemen!
now if only every artist would follow your prime examples

I agree but it's amazing how many artists I've run across that act like you're sticking a barbed wire bat up their behind when you ask them questions. I was in the markett for a tattoo not too long ago and a few of the artists I went to check out were flat out snotty to me.. obviously they didn't get my business.
breadstick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how I found my current artist. I got a few recommendations from this site and the yellow pages. I visited the local shops and narrowed it down to two. I visited one shop in St. Louis. It looked nice, the portfolios were impressive, but when I talked to an artist about what I wanted, he was a complete dick. I can understand being rushed if the shop is full, but there were two customers and they were both being helped by someone else. He treated me like my business meant absolutely nothing to him.

Now, I make somewhat decent money, but not enough that it doesn't matter. I figure that if I got off of my lazy ass and respected the outward image of their business to spend my precious free time giving them a shot, I expect to be treated like a patron of the establishment should be treated.

Then I visited my other prospect, Daddyos. The shop looked nice, same as the first. The guy behind the counter was cool (he was the piercer apprentice), and the artist/owner treated me with respect, so I responded in kind. I have been there for two tattoos, one more next month, and will keep going as long as I live here.
MysticKev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

britishink wrote:
My aftercare states clearly:

"Do not follow anyone elses instructions, if you have any questions please call me on ...."

People always say "So and so said...." well so and so didn't tattoo it. The tattoo is applied with respect by the artist and with respect they should be contacted for any problems or questions.

My favorite is "well my cousin said to put this on it..."

My answer is pretty much the same : "Is your cousin a tattoo artist? No? Well. maybe next time call me with your questions."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
smc4312

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This website explains Tattoo Healing, it seems helpful enough to mention.

http://unimaxsupply.com/sitepgs/1healingtext.htm

I was told by my tattoo artist that i was to go home, remove the shrinkwrap she had put on and wash my just done tattoo in warm soapy water (around 3:30pm that saturday evening), have dinner (5:30 ish) do the same again and then repeat before bed. (reapplying shrinkwrap each time).

The next day im supposed to do it once in the morning and once at night, once in the middle of the day if i can.

Im then supposed to start using savlon twice daily from wednesday onwards. Ill assume i dont use shrinkwrap at this stage ? Now the website says that washing like this actually slows the healing process and i should just clean it and use petroleum. Of course ill follow what my tattoo artist has advised out of respect for her experience.

SMC4312
jdev

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have work from several different artists. All of which have a different aftercare. I have heard from each of them say that they will only guarantee their work, if their aftercare process was followed. Which makes absolute sense. If you don't follow the artists instructions for aftercare then they shouldn't be obligated to fix a tattoo that healed improperly (should that actually be the case) from using someone else's aftercare methods.
resonanteye
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all work really differently, our hands and techniques vary. What heals my work I've done on someone well, might fuck up the healing for another artist's work. You can't make universal healing instructions because we don't all tattoo the same way- and nobody's skin is like anyone else's.

For example, I tend to rough up the skin a bit, in stretchy areas. My aftercare instructions are relatively dry compared to some other artists. This is because over the years I have payed attention to how people heal the best from the way I work- not because those other artists, or me, are "doing it wrong" or giving out incorrect directions.

Your artist knows your skin, and knows what they did to it, and will give you instructions that fit the situation.
tattoojake
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tattoo Aftercare is indeed Artist Specific in nature.

Everyone has different pigments and different methodology, however the goal remains the same.

On my aftercare sheets it says:
DO NOT LISTEN TO YOUR FRIEND'S AFTERCARE ADVICE!

I explain to every customer that indeed every one of their friends will become an instant expert on tattoo aftercare immediately after hearing you have a new tattoo.... even if they aren't tattooed themselves.

I say; please give these friends a message for me... tell them that your tattoo artist warned you about people like "them" and that they might want to do some research before offering advice that could be potentially harmful and destructive to you and your tattoo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JGARD10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not gonna lie, after my first tattoo i asked the "normal" questions, "should it look like this, things like that" but i realized you really gotta go by your artist, cuz how can someone whose a million miles away help you?
sakyant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: The Truth is always the best Reply with quote

Well, in my experience in both tattooing and seeing the results of different customers aftercare and their healing process, and that of many other artists too, as well as having used and recommended various products as the years passed, it became apparrent to me why all medical products declare that allergies or reactions can differ from person to person and that one should consult ones medic first before trying anything. This is the only true answer you can give, not that the medic would be able to advize a customer if to use a certain ink or after care etc, for they would have no experience to go on.

But what i would answer about aftercare in the case of being questioned about which cream or which method is best, if to bandage or cover or not, use soap or not etc, is that each person should also keep on top of ones progress and that different products work differently for different people.

I would then recommend my prefferred treatment, but offer alternatives if that does not work well, and say that each person must be in touch with ones own wound healing.

The truth is that you can try a technique and it works like a dream on 10 people or 20, and then one person doesnt take to that method and they dont heal well..

There are too many variables involved with the tattooing enviroment and the skin of the subject, to be able to say that one particular method is best, and one shgould always defend any respectable peers in the industry (other studios/artists) in their choice of aftercare recommendations, especially when one sees that their customers heal well even thought their healing method is applied differently to your own, which may also heal well. There is more than one successful way to treat a tattoo, some being with aftercare creams and balms and some being without, some being with cling film bandage and some not having any bandage..

I have seen good results with many of these methods, and each has its pros and cons.

As soon as a wound is made (tattooed), everything becomes uncertain
This is a truth which most artists don't wish to admit to their customers especially the mainstream pop art ones (followers of fashion, Not Cult tattoo fans) who would run a mile if they thought they were risking an infection, same as they would if they realized that every time they go to a clinic or a hospital, they risk infection.
sakyant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, here in Thailand we have a balm called chloramphenicol which works well on 30 people but then one in thirty may not have so good results.
That one in thirty may though have not cared well for the tattoo

In germany, Bepanthen used to be the recommended thing (Dexpanthenol), but to apply it too thickly will cause spots/pimples and its fatty nature will cause the tattoo to weep

i like to wrap in cling film for at least 6 hours and even overnight, and wash 6 times a day with no soap or at best ph neutral tiny bit

But i have seen people who dont wash it and dont put cream one, who heal very well and the color is well embedded. These people dont even cover it

Ialso had a customer misunderstand and keep the tattoo covered for about ten days

It looked fine

I have also seen people use the most expensive balms and keep it ultra clean and get an infection
streem26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I recommend to read this article http://tattoo-journal.com/tips-on-how-to-take-care-for-your-tattoo/ .Well my method for healing up after getting new ink is as follows:

After getting tattooed I leave the bandages on until bed time. That night I wash the tattoo with a mild soap and cold water to keep the pores closed(don't want to open the pores and draw out and of that fresh ink). Then I pat dry the area with paper towel. I don't apply anything on it to allow it to breath for the night.

for the next 2 days I repeat my washing procedure and drying with no application of products. (Showers are lukewarm too, just till the scabs are off). The next morning I apply Black Cat Tattoo Healing salve. This is when the healing procedures are that I wash the tattoo at night and apply the salve in the mornings. At about 1 week (give or take a day or two) from getting the tattoo, all the scabs are off and the itch is gone. Once the scabs are gone I use Lubriderm Unscented lotion to make my skin nice and soft
permapro
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an "OLD" fart who's been..ben.. there & (dun)" that ...,...:: most clients have weak collagen chains in their epidermis! For healing problems you must eat (hello) Jello!!!!!!!!!!! That's what the Hospital feeds YOU ,when they cut you or remove a malfunctioning part! Pigs ears & fish air bladders can = glue glass together. Yes it's a true sprue.Permawhysguy's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Read Street Tattoo Forum Index -> Tattoo Enthusiast Discussion Group All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: