The Mag Gallery The Hood
A DIEING ART

View previous topic :: View next topic  
horiryu
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: A DIEING ART Reply with quote

For years when l first started, tattooing was always called a dieing art, the second oldest profession in the world, prostitutes being our first,, but lt seems tattooing is a bit older then prostitutes, unless we had them selling things for chunks of wooly mammoth..
so now that they see tattooing old as that iceman etc. and l know back then there were no scratchers, l bet there was one person who dont the tattoos and thats it..
now l do beleive it is a dieing art, and from how l knew it, has already died.
lt has progressed into proferssional art, a different form of art, from simple little drawings that looked like something into art that looks real and is beautifull.
The past history is just about extinct, a few remember, lots want to remember, but few left to tell it..
so l quess in a way it has died, traditional tattoo..
Every profession has some history, and take like even a mechanic, he knows at least something from the past, like old cars, even artists and writers have history, and those doing art and writeing today, l bet know a bit of thier past history, who was who etc.
it seems today that people just dont care, this is clients at the moment, years ago the customer did have a lot of respect, even though most were a bit rowdy, they were respectfull of your art, shop, the old guys, etc. and you never got anyone askin about your equipment or how to do this and that, how good they can or thier friend can draw...today they drive you crazy with whats that, where did you get it, l,m thinking of being a tattoo artist and try and steal shit, come in with traceing paper and ask for a pencil so they can copy something off your wall..
lts strange to me that there are lots of tattooers who dont know anything or a little about the past, there is very little in this business that is new, just changed in its look...
even stranger, is the people who dont really care a shit about past things..
not trying to get everyone involved in a history lesson, just my opinion, l jusr really hated to see the past go down, and really do not care if anyone remembers anything or not, l usually just mind my own business, and lay back..but if anyone wants to know, and if l can tell them, l will tell them whatever l can..
l do know l am real happy l got to meet plenty of the guys an gals from the past and those colorfull characters and burnt in my mind its like everday over and over l see all this, all the old tattooers and hear them,,maybe l got some rare disease, or something, buts its a fact, any great old timer l ever met l cant get them out of my mind..some days l set here alone and smile a bit, or laugh to myself at some of the things l,ve seen.
How l wish l could drop in on tatts tommy, terry wrigley, ole hanson, bow shaw, and all the rest, gee l miss the people and the old shops..all that great old flash the colorfull shops..the stories..great stuff, lm proud l paid attention most of the time,,
TATTOODLES is a great place, wonderfull people, artists and non artists, all super..Have the highest respects for all here, there is some ass kickin artwork and lm honored to know many here.
l love going to the conventions when l can, meeting some new people, love the new flash its nice..
But if anyone ever had the chance to get into an oldtimer shop, you would know what l mean..
Great memories.
a little blast from the past
kiss
aries666

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love story time..... oxox. and we love you too jerry. o_O
horiryu
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darlin,, whoops, hope rose dont see this remark
aries666

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahhahaa..... o.O
rainman
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you going to be traveling to the toronto convention this year Jerry?
jasonsweet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
lts strange to me that there are lots of tattooers who dont know anything or a little about the past, there is very little in this business that is new, just changed in its look...

I agree with you Jerry and that is why it is nice to have people like you around.
amyx
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is damn important to have people like Jerry around, for some of us learning the past ways...The link to the past helps me appreciate the differences of the ways today.
Rose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel privileged to learn these things from you, and all the tattooists here. Being a "civilian", and outsider, to all of you who make this wonderful art/ practice this wonderful trade; I never thought I'd be given the gift of learning so much. I really do appreciate it. I hope you keep telling these stories, Jerry. I hope everyone learns and keeps them.

...and I'll have to work on my jealousy of you with other women, Jerry. After all, legends like you do belong to the world. Smile
ped98

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thougjt about putting your history on paper for the rst of the world to ler from, so that is it not lost , you and those that you knew will become immortal. We can not afford to loose such a valeable link to the past. Just a thought.

Ped 8-)
krookedken
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, if i could be a third of the man you are id be somebody. I have the upmost respect for all that have come before me. I feel honored that you have shared your home, family and life with me. The thing that i think thats affecting the history the nowadays is that many of the old timers that are left are not as accesible as you are. I dont mean that they are mean, i mean stay in thier own little world. Still in thier shops tattooing away and have know idea that people like me would give anything to hear thier story. Many hardly use computers or feel like know one cares. Many of the guys i have met with 30,40 years or more under thier belt just look at it as a job and dont know what all the fuss is about. If they only knew how much we owe them. Does this make sense, i had a hard time putting this into words....
horiryu
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes a lot of sense pal, most that are left just take it as a job, and dont know or understand what all the fuss is about, ot dont want to get involved
l know a few who just gave up on things.
lt was great when you came here, people still come in looking for you, thats a couple year ago..
And it was pretty much, to get excepted, you had to toss names around and you had good references..
l,ve had some bad experiences befriending some people, as well as a couple others, like old tommy, so you got to be carefull..
you know in the early 80, the kit buyers had this thing about getting rid of the old timers, and they really fucked with us and most of the guys who had more then 20 yrs on me, the horror stories of that era would make you cry or piss you right off what some did to these old timers, and some who did this shit, are well known names today..a few are really not what you think. and one day l,ll give you an example.
but all in all ken, you are correct.
You may find if you come across an old timer, and go in and expect a chat without knowing someone he knows, you wont get a chat..like when Mike McCabe tried to interview Tatts Tommy,,he was frightened to death of tommy, he asked me to get involved and then tommy treated him great..
Heres a great one, a few years ago l got a letter from a young japanese tattooer who wanted to meet Mr, Sakamoto, HORI-HIRO, and the old man would have nothing to do with him, the kid asked me if l would write him a letter of introduction to take to Sakamoto, which l did, and next time he wrote he was real excited that the letter got him an appointment to visit, and Sakamoto had him picked up by car in tokyo, entertained him, talked to him, and after the day was over had him safely returned home..And that was pretty much what is was like on this side of the world too, and for me it was the same, no old timers would greet me at all unless l knew names, the first time l met tommy he scared the shit out of me, the next time l had names...we were best pals over 30 yrs after that..
And they all had what we called guardian angels, l was tommys angel and HoriHide,s as well still am,,,but now l see l,ll need one myself soon..not saying l dont already have a couple..This is getting to long l,ll go into the angel thing if ya like sometime/
Again you are right ken..
Thanks, and for keeping things alive like you do, thanks.
horiryu
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ped98 wrote:
Have you thougjt about putting your history on paper for the rst of the world to ler from, so that is it not lost , you and those that you knew will become immortal. We can not afford to loose such a valeable link to the past. Just a thought.

Ped 8-)

l,ve tried, but dont know just how to do it all, then when you start and tell something, between the lines is another few things needs tellin, l did a interview with someone who wanted to do a book on me, it took a year they did nothing with it, but l wanted to add people in there other tattooers, l dont want to blab on about myself, l wanted others in the book as well, which l think ls good..tattooing and other old tattooers all in one not just me..it ends up bigger then a friggin novel...so l dont know, and as l said before l need someone who knows how to ask and use a recorder and let them write..l was called here last year from a publisher who wanted me to do a book, but they said l had to write it myself..
maybe john irving would do it.. laughing he wrote that fiction novel useing info he got from me, and people who read it see me in there fuckin around and think its all true, l even get people askin me to autograph the book, around here, and out west in oct, l signed several for people.. laughing the book was -untill l find you_ real strange book, but a good writer, has quit a bit of tattoo story in it, Irving sent me a copy, l never could remember when he interviewd me but l remember talking to him..?????
horiryu
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman wrote:
are you going to be traveling to the toronto convention this year Jerry?

dont really know yet, my plan makeing lately seems to be like a day or so before things happen.. would like too..just to see some of the people again.
rainman
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you are and ned a place to stay my house is yours, i thought i could return the favour still gunning for march probably late march, i will keep you informed and when things become finalized i will let you know....
rainman
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i would think it is up to the new generation to keep the history going,myself included i would'nt be where i am if it was'nt for people like you. Maybe tattoo history should be taught in apprentiships, that way it can't be forgoten. With knowledge is power and it should be passed on, a memoir from you would deffinetly help......thanx craig
Scoobiedoo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,
I know I'd love to see that book available one day. I got to believe that every tattoo artist must have some questions about the past, how all this came-to-be today, etc.

The world needs to hear you stories Jerry - and not just all about you - but about your interactions and dealing with all the greats - such as Coleman, Rogers, Spaulding, Webb, etc.
BambiKhan
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jerry, a good start for your book could be just going thru some of the fantastic stories you've already told on here, and making friends with an editor or aspiring writer.

I love your stories, and I'm glad the internet has allowed me to meet you, and "hear" the tales of modern tattoo roots.

I really think you should consider compiling.
SmilinDave
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, I 've never met you, however I've known your work since the beginning of my apprenticeship. I had great mentors that made me study at least some of the past history. I still yearn to learn more and join others in hoping you'll one day publish a book.

I've had the pleasure of visiting and working at Point St. Charles Tattoo in Montreal. Dave C opened this door for me and I was honoured to have met Tony D. He is a true character and living history. Though the shop was recently redone alot of history remains and the feel of the shop is pure history. Tony was reluctant to talk tattoo at first but soon was digging up old stencils(which I proudly display in my shop!), photos, and great stories. What a precious week that was for me. He's been tattooing since the early fifties! His tattooing history is somewhat documented but he has lots to share.

I believe, like most things, everything comes around. I also believe nothing is all lost. I know many of my peers and mentors are revamping their work in accordance with "old school" knowledge and many are running from the large shop format in favor of the small one and two man show type shops. I hope the art that you grew to love and practice never dies. It would be a shame to loose such a solid foundation. Thankfully the work lives long after the practioner has passed.

I still see Doc Forbes work out here in the west as well as the odd Ed Talbot(Hardy) and all the other characters that have long since passed. Inspiring.
ped98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, I have a question..?? I hope this comes out right..
I was tught that name dropers were to be watched and realy in general not trusted. The way I was taught was to watch a peronns actions and skills.. let the prof be in the puddin so to speak. I know some guys that have a great memory for names and use it as a weapon and bull shit their
in. then wham... thay are not what thay said thay were. And the letter thing... I have not sean that happen but once in my life..
Sorry... my question is how have you gotten around the bull shitters and name dropers .. to the peoplw who really are what thay say thay are with
out all of the drama....
I dont know if I asked that right..hope so disapproval laughing laughing
Ped
krookedken
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ped98, cant answer for Jerry but when i read it i was thinking of more like a referral. But you shed a drfferent light on it my friend.
horiryu
Tattoo Artist
Tattoo Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ped98 wrote:
Jerry, I have a question..?? I hope this comes out right..
I was tught that name dropers were to be watched and realy in general not trusted. The way I was taught was to watch a peronns actions and skills.. let the prof be in the puddin so to speak. I know some guys that have a great memory for names and use it as a weapon and bull shit their
in. then wham... thay are not what thay said thay were. And the letter thing... I have not sean that happen but once in my life..
Sorry... my question is how have you gotten around the bull shitters and name dropers .. to the peoplw who really are what thay say thay are with
out all of the drama....
I dont know if I asked that right..hope so disapproval laughing laughing

Ped

yes ped, it was like more of a referrel, the name thing, besides the ol timer usually knew and could pick out an asshole right off, if you put a mane of someone you knew were friends with, that just got you in the door as to speak..l have run into many name droppers like you mention who were exactly like you are saying, so that was it, l never had anything to do with them..you had to watch out, especially now, l,ve been ripped off a few times, too trusting, people being over nice, and get in and really give you a going over later on..and some do this to everyone, the last bunch were friends of very close friends of mine, so that kind of ended the name dropping thing, but years ago l was lucky to be close to several well known tattooers, and that got me in with many old timers, and there were a few times some ol timer would just sense you were ok and took you under his wing..
so you are prety much correct in what you said, l quess l didnt explain it well..
ken is right, it was like a referel, and l would never give a referel to some nut case...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Read Street Tattoo Forum Index -> Tattoo Enthusiast Discussion Group All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: